Saturday, February 28, 2009

That's My Bike...Punk!

The other day I was engaging in a conversation with a friend when she told me that I should consider being a counselor. My immediate response was "nah, it's too depressing. Someone hanging a cloud over your head when you're reaching for your own sunshine.” And those were my words without a thought or pause. Those that really know me know that I like helping people and MOTIVATING them to make a positive move forward in their own lives. But in that split second I made a statement that seemed to contradict what I believe is part of my purpose here on Earth. But that's only if one was to judge the statement surface level. Sometimes you can't help everybody or take everyone along with you on your journey. Your personal journey. Sometimes you have to feed people with a long handled spoon, and it doesn't necessarily have to be because they're bad people, but maybe because you're an unfinished book yourself. Often times we try to save people from drowning, but in the process of handing them our life jacket we realize that we don't know how to swim ourselves (there was a reason that we had on the life jacket in the first place). I’m just going to be honest with you, sometimes people weigh you down. You’re barely staying afloat because you’re just “getting the hang of things” yourself trying to save a 250 lb. man from drowning…not possible. Before you know it, people are taking and taking and taking because you keep on giving and giving and giving…and you ain’t getting sh*t in return, but the mirror only reflects what stands in front of it (wait for it). Now I’m not saying you can’t help people, but you don’t have to do it at the expense of yourself. People will use you until they use you up. Sometimes you have to move everyone out of the way and go for self. Be courteous, be respectful, be honest and learn to let go of seasonal people without letting go of yourself in the process. Don’t allow people to rain on your parade, especially if you’re in a “good place.” Don’t allow unimportant people to come into your lane and get you off course. Surround yourself with those that applaud you when you do well and MOTIVATE you to do better when you’re not reaching your potential. Reach back and help those that need to be helped, but don’t jeopardize your dream helping somebody else out of their nightmare. And when you do reach back, don’t do it expecting anything in return, do it because that’s a decision you wanted to make…because nine times out of 10 you won’t get anything in return (from them). So basically what I’m saying is make the decision to help someone based off the person you are not the person you’re helping, but don’t let them use you. To sum it all up, don’t let someone hang a cloud over your head while you’re reaching for your own sunshine.

2 comments:

DangerouslyMinded said...

Well-said. Very well-said. I would have agreed with the friend of yours that you should be a counselor, though. Once you're able to swim on your own, at the very least.

This was unfortunately a lesson I have (and am still) learned/learning. For years, I prided myself (or rather, allowed others to compliment me) on my ability to 'be there' and 'be an encouragement' to other people, or even to offer advice... when I myself had my own holes to dig myself out of. In truth, like you said, many continued to take all I had to offer and eventually I got tired of getting nothing back in return.

The problem, to an extent, is understanding that being selfless is the 'right' thing to do. You shouldn't be selfless to a point where you're giving so much of your food to other people that you don't have a crumb left to yourself. But you should be willing to give when you can. People don't always return the favor; you'd like them to, but you aren't owed or obligated anything. So you give what you can, and hope for the best; sometimes, you just gotta keep an umbrella handy if someone threatens to put a cloud over your head lol.

#12 said...

Well said. It's a month later but this entry really hits home with me today.

Update your blog.